The Enrolment Procedures and Policy of Milford N.S.
This policy aims to ensure that the appropriate procedures are in place to enable the school
• To make decisions on all applications in an open and transparent manner consistent with the Ethos and Mission Statement of the school and legislative requirements.
• To make an accurate and appropriate assessment of the capacity of the school to cater for the needs of applicants in the light of the resources available to it and
• To put in place a framework which will ensure effective and productive relations between students, parents and teachers where a student is admitted to the school.
The school shall have in place appropriate channels of communication and procedures
• To inform parents about the school, its programmes, activities, and procedures.
• To enable applications for admission to the school to be handled in an open, transparent manner.
• To put in place criteria under which applications shall be considered.
• To ensure that these criteria are informed by our Ethos and Mission Statement and current legislation.
• To specify the information that is required by the school at the time of application
While recognising the desire of parents to enrol their child in the school of their choice, the Board of Management of Milford National School is responsible for the protection of the rights of the existing school community and, in particular, the children already enrolled. This requires balanced judgements, which are guided by the principles of natural justice and acting in the best interests of all children. The Board of Management reserves the right to determine the maximum number of children is shall admit in any one academic year on the basis of:
• The number of anticipated teaching staff available
• The size of and/or available space in classrooms
• The existence of multi-grade classes
• The educational needs of children of a particular age
• The presence of children with special educational or behavioural needs
• Health & Safety concerns regarding Children and Staff
• Department of Education and Science class size directives
• Availability of appropriate supports and resources
Please click to view our School Enrolment Procedures and Policy document in full. It will open in a new window. To close, simply close the window and you will return to the main site.