I hope that you and your family are keeping safe and well. Our school motto is ‘… ag foghlaim le chéile’ (Learning Together). Since schools closed in March, this has never been more true. A huge thank you parents for the incredible effort that you are making at home each week in helping your child to engage in their educational programme. I know that it is not easy and I appreciate the many challenges that you have had to face each day. I would also like to commend our staff members for their significant effort in supporting the continuity of education and learning during the present closure. You have done an incredible job. All in all, it has really been a wonderful school community effort. Ní neart go cur le chéile – there is no strength without unity. Well done everyone.
The roadmap for opening schools in September was published by the Department of Education and Skills (DES) on Friday. The document presented several models for a return to school, the optimal model being a full return to school in September for all children, something we all wish for. Unfortunately, the roadmap presented is critically short of clarity in relation to social distancing and safety issues. The DES has indicated that further guidance documents and templates will be published later in June and July which will inform policy and protocols for a return to school. Once we receive these documents, we will put a plan in place for September and communicate it to you as soon as possible.
In light of the emergency closure in March and the present uncertainty regarding September, we are going to do our best to keep things as familiar as possible for the children when they return to school. Classes will not be split up or jumbled up for the academic year 2020/21. That means that the three Senior Infant Classes will remain in their class groupings and advance to three 1st Classes. Both 5th Classes will advance into 6th Class in their present class groupings. Third Class will not be reshuffled going into 4th Class.
Some dates to remember…
- The End of Year School Reports will be published on Aladdin Connect later today, June 15th. Please contact the school if you are unable to access your child’s report.
- The list of class teachers, room numbers and booklists for the academic year 2020/21 will be published on Aladdin Connect and on the school website next Wednesday.
- A school book drop off facility will take place in the school gym next week. The class teachers will indicate on Aladdin Connect what books should be returned before the summer break. Further details will be published later this week.
- Sixth Class Virtual Graduation Ceremony will be broadcast next Tuesday evening. The link will be shared via Aladdin Connect.
- The Junior Infant Virtual Welcome Evening will be broadcast on Thursday 25th June. The link will be shared with parents closer to the date.
Finally, thank you so much for your continued support and cooperation. Your kind words to our teachers are very much appreciated and gives us all strength through these unprecedented times. Please do not hesitate to contact the school via firstname.lastname@example.org if you think we can help you in any way.
Wishing you and your family the very best.
Take care everyone.
Le gach dea-ghuí,